After the success of the 2012 Expedition Across Australia run by Bob Lamond, I was asked by some of the participants to organise a South North Rally in 2014 as they figured that Bob had probably had enough of organising rallies.
The rally is in the early planning stages but here are the main points:
- Rally to start August 3rd and end August 24th 2014
- Event will start from the National Motor Museum Birdwood SA and end at the old Qantas hangar that is now the Motor Vehicle Enthusiasts Club “Shed” Darwin
- Eligible are any vehicle built before 1919 or any “feeble” Vintage (pre 1930) vehicle for example a cycle car or small 2 stroke motorcycle.
- You will most likely need your own accommodation as some of the places we will be staying do not offer much.
- You will be responsible for your own backup although I’m sure there are many on the run that will help you if you need it.
- There will be very few official starts so you can get on the road as early or late as you wish.
- We will endeavor to get together each night to commiserate on the days triumphs.
- We are traveling from south to north as transport is very expensive into Darwin but cheap out, so your vehicle could be trucked south at the end cheaply also shipping costs in and out of Adelaide would be less prohibitive for overseas entrants. The original expeditions also went that way.
I will be posting information as it comes to hand. If you are interested in coming along please fill out the “Expression of Interest” form in the Forms menu also if you want to be kept up to date put your email address in the Subscribe box on the top right (if you are using an iPad it maybe at the bottom of the page) and you will then be kept posted.